The God of all time

rwanda has a way of making me think.  maybe its the wide open skies that makes my heart and mind feel wide open too.  some of my hugest encounters with God's character and nature have happened here as he has taught me more and more about who He is.  i dont know what it is about rwanda, but its surely something. 


one of the things i keep going over in my mind is the way in which God sees time differently than we do.  when i was first here, 12.5 years ago, as a 22 year old, he could see (and had his hand intentionally in) this reality now.  i imagine that God sees all of history transposed on top of itself in layers, like moving pictures, one in the midst of the others. as i walked around here, first pressing my feet into this dusty earth,  he could see me traveling the same path as a 34 year old, with three brown skinned girls skipping/tottering along beside me.  as i prayed then for direction for my life, he could see robert walking that same path with me in the months and years to come.  as i asked him what work i would put my hands to, he could see me in the classroom just down the hill.  as i asked him who my family would be, he could hear and see eden and etta mae laughing and playing.  as i walked past saplings, he could see me pointing out the mature trees to my children, wondering which birds live in them and what they are called.  he could see eden climbing in them. 

its a beautiful thing to know that he is the God of all time. he knows in one moment all of the things which will come to pass in every space and context.  and it just expands my heart and my mind to think of his pleasure at watching us trust Him, as He is knowing and preparing a path that we could never have anticipated, even as He sees us walking right in the very midst of it.  

  

Comments