Committed to Asking the Right Questions

This is a blog post for utter honesty, which I don't always like, because it is uncomfortable.  But for your sake, and for the sake of the Gospel, I will be open here.

My husband and I moved to America, from Rwanda, about 6 months ago to get married and for my husband to go to school.  We were so sure that God had 'big' things planned for us.  I just knew I would get a teaching job and that Robert would be able to start school in the fall.  We were so excited to get married and start a new 
adventure together.

6 months after moving here, we are still both working random odd jobs, struggling to pay bills, and wondering what happened to all our big plans.  I can't find a teaching job with a microscope and Robert can't start school because we can't afford it.  What happened to God's plan for us?  Did we mishear Him? Did He mislead us?  What is God's plan for us?  What does He have for us?  If we obey Him, won't He provide for us?  Even if we don't obey, won't He be merciful and still provide?  

I keep asking these questions and then I realized something.  Many of us say that 'God will provide'.  But what does that really mean?  There are obviously Christians, actual Christ-following people, who do not have everything they 'need' according to this world.  In fact, many die, including the disciples themselves, in horrible ways.  I think, all too often, we believe that God will provide for us according to what we think we need. But that is clearly not the teaching of the Bible.  God often has different plans than we do.  And when I say things like 'God will provide', or 'God will be glorified in my life' I am obviously thinking that He will provide for me according to me, and that He will be glorified because people will see His provision.   

But what is that is backwards?  What if God decides to glorify Himself by putting us through trial after trial, as He did Job?  What if what He deems necessary for life is much less than what is necessary according to my assessment.  What if, when I am asking questions like 'what does God have for us?', He wants to hear me asking what He wants of us.  What if when I ask about His plans for my life, he Wants me to ask Him how to make Him the center of my life, regardless of what I can or CANNOT understand.  What if I have been asking the wrong questions?

This has brought about alot of questioning in my heart and I am determined that, if nothing else, I will ask the right questions from now on. I will ask what I can do to glorify God, not what He is doing to make my life the way I think it should be.  

And I challenge you all to question your questions as well.

Comments

  1. I am so grateful that God uses you dear Laura to teach me. To help me perhaps interpret my own struggles with the way things are vs. the way I think they should be. You have dispelled my frustration for today and helped me to begin a journey in a better direction...asking the right questions.

    Mugwa Neza

    P.s., I am listening to Vince Giraldi....A Charlie Brown Christmas. You inspire more than deep spiritual contemplation. You're good like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, you have a beautiful heart. Thanks for your honesty...this is putting some things into perspective for me today too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right sister. As always.

    "His purpose isn't always to make us happy, but to make us Holy."

    Just ask if He's making you Holy. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen. If I have learned anything through recent events in my life, it is definitely that God does have a plan, even though it may not be our plan. I keep reminding myself of that over and over, hoping that I'll get it through my dense head at some point :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. "A man's heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps" Proverbs 16:9

    I think it's a lesson we need to learn again and again in our lives. I love the song "While I'm Waiting" by John Waller...I don't know if it relates to you right now, but as I try to figure out what I'm supposed to be doing and hoping God reveals His plan to me, I can definitely relate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Megan, I just listened to that song and you are right, there is alot of truth to it. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Laura. You've given me some good food for thought. I'm pretty much in the same place as you guys in a way. Your honesty is good for my soul. :c) Hugs to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laura, you are a blessing to all who read your blog. I have always been so blessed by your faith. I know that these times have been discouraging, but I am so excited to see what God has planned for your life. I am so proud of your insight, and your willingness to stand firm in your faith.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well said! That is really good perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  10. a blessing for sure!

    And I love comments...they are encouraging when the days arent so 'hot' I can remember the sweet comments. so thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amen, sista! "And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. To our God and Father be glory forever and ever. Amen." Phillipian 4:19-20

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment