When both Autobahn are closed

July 12: I am writing this update stuck in a parking lot of traffic in the countryside outside Hamburg.  Unbeknownst to us, both of the autobahn leading out of the city are closed today, so the is literally no way out except for back roads, and there are thousands of cars trying to find a way out.  Even if we had no traffic it would be a five hour trip, with traffic it could take us twice as long.  And it's 5:30 in the afternoon.  So... Here I am, doing my daily write up to try to keep from going crazy.  At least we are in a beautiful countryside village at a dead stop instead of the city.  

This morning was really slow and relaxed, which we all needed after the busyness of yesterday.  Eden and I woke up around 8:30 and we all had a very long and big breakfast of different croissant sandwiches and breads with a plethora of spread varieties. After that Eden and I went back to sleep until the early afternoon.  Then we ventured out to an old WWII bunker that has a cafe on the top floor and you can see the whole Hamburg skyline.  

We had a momentary setback when Eden hit her head on the corner of a chair and got an immediate welt on her forehead.  A quick FaceTime call to PaPa J to make sure she was ok, and then we were on our way.  Arielle and I got some much anticipated time to talk alone on the way back which, though 
short, was a sweet time to hear each other's hearts and reconnect.  With Brandon's family also visiting and us having such a busy weekend, we had not been able to steal away. So even those few minutes were a blessing.  I remember how alone I felt as a new mother, even amongst my amazing community in RVA. I can only imagine how Arielle feels in a foreign country. She is such a beautiful and graceful mother. 

Hardy and Katha picked us up and we got stuck in traffic for an hour and a half and went nit even a kilometer.  We ended up giving up on going home at this time and went for supper in Hamburg and then trying again after the kids were full and more ready to sit still.  The trip took us about five hours and Eden pointed out every.single windmill on the way...hundreds of them.  Home by midnight!