A Blessing, Not a Curse

Hello all.  
Today is my birthday.  And I am writing a blog post, NOT bring attention to my own birthday really, but to bring attention to the phenomenon that is the western 
dread of aging. 

I am always disturbed by this fear.  Women hate saying how old they are.  We FREAK OUT over gray hairs.  And women do anything they can to stay looking (and acting) young for as long as possible.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with dying your hair or trying to stay fit, I think they can both be nice things.  But my problem with them is when they are a front for trying to cover up or avoid age.

As Christians, our constant call is to observe the world, compare it to the Bible, and chose the way of the WORD.  And these are a few of the things the Bible says about age...


Proverbs 16:31 (NIV) 
“Gray hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained 
by a righteous life.” 


Leviticus 19:32 
“Rise in the presence of the aged, show 
respect for the elderly.” 

Job 32:7
 “Age should speak; advanced years should teach wisdom.


Job 12:12 
Wisdom is with aged men, With long life is understanding.” 

Additionally, I think our dread of age shows our general tendency to take life for granted.  In Rwanda, age is a blessing, and the elderly are honored, revered,and respected. 

Just think about it!  How many babies around the world die in their mother's wombs, children before they are old enough for school?  How many young men and women lose their lives, before ever graduating college or getting married?

I am now 27.  I am starting my 28th year.  

So many people never get to be 27.  

Linsday did not get to.

Brian did not get to. 

Owen did not get to.

So many do not get to, for whatever reasons.

But I have, by God's grace.  

And I am going to celebrate my age, and be thankful.

I hope you will too be thankful for your age as well.

Comments

  1. Happy growing-in-wisdom day, Laura, from a grey-haired friend.

    And I join with you in remembering Brian, and honor your memory of your other friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yess!! getting older is getting better :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment